Monday, May 11, 2009

STS-125

The shuttle went up today. To be more accurate, Shuttle Transport System-125 Atlantis slipped the bonds of earth.

I am quite possibly the biggest NASA nut out there. Well, to be sure, the biggest NASA-nut republican out there. I happen to believe that money should come straight out of my paycheck, circumvent Congress, and go right smack into NASA's budget. I think it's a great idea. On on a side note, don't talk to me about privatizing NASA. The discoveries of science belong to us all, not to Boeing. I digress.

The shuttle went up today. And I couldn't bring myself to care. And for the biggest NASA-nut republican out there, this is a problem. I've been off my game for the past 2 days and I couldn't figure out why. Then I remembered, the shuttle was going up today.

STS-125 is the mission to fix the Hubble telescope. It was supposed to launch last fall. I know this because we were supposed to watch it. The mission was scrubbed and my heart terribly saddened. For as long as I can remember, or as long as those Internets have been broadcasting launches, I have gathered my friends, co-workers, enemies, people I meet on the street together to make them watch the launch either online or on the NASA tv channel. Don't laugh, it really is a great channel. So to get to see a launch in person! Holy rocket boosters, Batman!!!

But STS-125 wasn't meant to be for us. Instead, he got us in to watch STS-126 Endeavor. It was amazing. We made a big trip of it. We toured Kennedy Space Center. We rode on this amazing ride thingy that simulated launch. We walked around the people and the projects that would make their way onto the International Space Station. We saw Atlantis being re-tiled. I touched her underbelly. I prayed beneath her cargo bay doors. We went to the launch pad after midnight to see Endeavor in all her glory, ready to fly. It was the most amazing 36 hours.

Launch morning started early with a surprise walk on the beach, beautiful prayers of thanksgiving for the Lord bringing us to "us", and a promise of coffee. The clouds were rolling in and I was almost certain the launch wouldn't happen. Have a little faith, he would remind me. All day I kept stealing his blackberry to check the forecast. If cloud cover got about 35%, the launch was a no-go. But we made it to Kennedy. We got to the Administrator's building and I had to remind myself to breath! We listened to Administrator Griffin give his briefing before the launch, we were introduced to some amazing past astronauts, and we walked to the Administrator's balcony to await lift-off.

I'm not always the most patient person. But standing on the balcony, eyes glued on the shuttle, his arm around me, I couldn't wait any longer! I am surprised I did not come out of my skin.

We watched it. A flawless lift-off under a full harvest moon. It pierced the sky. Literally pierced it. It was amazing. I got to hear launch control hand over the shuttle to mission control. I got to hear Administrator Griffin pronounce that the beans and cornbread were indeed "on", and I told I couldn't believe in the past year I got to mark two things off my "bucket list": be loved by an amazing man and watch a shuttle launch. I couldn't believe I got to do both at the same time!

Many of you come here expecting deep theology and sometimes you get something near my inadequate attempts at it. But today...today I don't have much. Because, you see, the shuttle launched today. Two shuttles have gone up since that perfect night in November, and I haven't been able to bring myself to care about either of them.

Right now, there are seven brave men and women headed to orbit. They will get to see some of the most amazing things. They will be a part of history. And because of their efforts, we will be able to see into the vast unknown.

The shuttle went up today. And for a NASA nut, I should be out of my skin. As they touch the face of God, I find myself wanting to be very far from the reality of my world: of never owning, completely, my NASA memories again, of not being able to display pictures from that weekend, or tell my children about how their dad and I hung out on a balcony with Neil Armstrong.

Not a whole lot today- just prayers for a successful mission, the safe return of these wonderful heroes, and for some guidance on getting out of this orbit.

God-speed 125, we'll see you on the flip-side.

No comments:

Post a Comment