Thursday, April 2, 2009

Four Years Ago...

...the world lost a great man, a true leader, and a servant of God.

His death prompted me to take a look at all the things I believed and eventually I made the journey home to Rome.

Occasionally I'll spend some time reflecting back on the influence he had on so many. His strength was found not in his might but in his weakness. He lived the real power found when you ask for the grace to suffer. His last few months with us were labored and hard to watch.

But his living forced us to ask questions about our dying. About how we look at who deserves to live and who gets to decide to die. Questions about being open and honest with our shortcomings, being real with our defeats.

For my faith, this man was the Vicar of Christ on Earth. Wearing red shoes because he walked in the way of those who were martyred for the faith. His death with dignity, but not without pain, engraved on my heart a profound lesson: Pain does not negate purpose.

Until recently, he was the only Pope of my lifetime. His impact is still felt today as seekers everywhere quietly roar through the doors of the Church, looking for the peace he so evidently possessed.

He'll always be il papa, and I miss him still.

No comments:

Post a Comment