Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Who Says You Can't Go Home?

Love that song. Love. That. Song.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3FWgUbVzXI

And how true it is.

I've spent the past four weeks at home. A whole month in the house that saw my first dance recital costume, that still smells the same, that still wraps me in love. This time has been good, been healing, been holy.

But this town! This town has literally wrapped its arms around me. Women that taught me in Sunday School have caught my tears, people I worked out with at the Y have prayed for me, beautiful friends I walked through school with have heard my story in the aisles of Wal-Mart (or is it Walmart now?) and stood in the gap with me.

I shouldn't, but I remain surprised.

After almost four years in a town that starts each conversation with "now, what do you do?", it has been humbling to spend a month with people who knew me before the commas-

Ashley Elizabeth, employee of the White House
Ashley Elizabeth, girlfriend and part of the young DC power couple
Ashley Elizabeth, speechwriter for GSA
Ashley Elizabeth, baker of one mighty poundcake

The people here, the souls that make up my home knew me before the commas and now that nothing but empty space and the grace of God follow behind my name, they still love me.

Bon Jovi was right- there is only one place they call you one of their own.

Commas or not.

6 comments:

  1. I think I need to taste your famous poundcake! :)

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at you! go blogger!!!! Love it!

    Michelle
    http://www.everydaycelebrating.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's right girl and don't you ever forget it! Your roots run deep in this town. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I prefer...
    AE, the coolest Chi Omega I know
    or
    AE, the person with whom I always have a great conversation

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops... I just somehow posted using Chris' account, so that's who just deleted a comment!! BUT:

    I have a beer girl outfit with your name on it, and I know how much you love madras!!!

    Ashley Elizabeth, true Guamanian!

    Love you lady! Miss you like crazy!!

    ReplyDelete